Beware of Spiritual Bypassing
SB is the use of spiritual ideas to avoid facing unresolved emotional issues, psychological wounds, and societal problems. Basically, it’s the use of religious words, theologies, or cliches to invalidate or avoid addressing the actual issue.
When spirituality and religion are used to compensate for challenging traits such as low self-esteem, social isolation, mental health issues, social issues like racism or sexism, or other emotional issues, they corrupt the actual use of the spiritual practice.
Some examples include:
- “It doesn’t matter who is president, Jesus is always in control.”
- “Everything happens for a reason.”
- “I don’t see color.” & “All Lives Matter.”
- “Try focusing on the positive!”
- “Don’t be anxious, just trust God!”
- “Rely on God and you won’t be so tired.”
- “You shouldn’t feel lonely. God is always with you.”
- “Have you prayed about it?”